Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Stopping the TPN

We have decided that we are going to stop the TPN (IV nutrition) a week early. Oliver seems to be having more complications, pain, and fluid overload from this than anything. We gave it in the hopes that we would get a few decent weeks and then try to start food again but he has just been very unhappy. We will start very slow with about 5 ml's of Pedialyte an hour which is like having a tiny sip. If he does ok we will try to go up. If not we will pull back and make Oliver as comfortable as possible. We are terrified. I really really hope this works. Pray for the tummy! Oliver really needs a haircut as well, he is growing a mullet. Hospice found a volunteer that will come to the house. We are super excited to have a new big boy hair cut. Adina went to school today which was huge for her. It has been helpful to have a lot of people come see Oliver because she gets attention too. If you want to come and visit please don't be afraid to call. If we can't do it we will be honest. If anybody has been sick we just ask that you wait a few days. We will keep you posted about Oli's tummy. This will be a very nerve wracking few days to come. We are at the point where we don't even know how to pray. We pray for Oliver to stay with us but we also pray that he doesn't struggle and suffer anymore. So I guess I don't know where that leaves us. Oli again has had an increase in the Morphine and Ativan and continues to daily need more to even touch the pain. Thanks again for all of the love, support, food, and prayers! I know that I usually post pictures with my posts. Oliver still looks like our beautiful little angelic stud muffin but he also looks like he is in pain and that is not how we want people to see him. I will repost our favorite and the way we want you to think of Oli. This was Christmas Eve right after the organ stopped. Oli had been singing loudly with the music and decided to have a lovely solo at the end! Go Oli! (This was pre-trach when he could yell!)

4 comments:

Laura said...

I remember his solo :) What a beautiful sound. My other favorite video is the one with him giggling. That is just precious. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family.

cardon said...

Thanks so much for sharing Oliver's singing. Because of the short time we have known you we haven't seen all the best of Oliver I'm sure. May his tummy start working. Carol Kelsey

Unknown said...

Dear Klawiters,

John shared an update and this blog with us last Sunday, we were stunned to hear about your sweet boy's struggles. We are praying everyday for an extra dose of strength for your little boy and for all of your hurting hearts.

All our best,
Melissa Popp & family.

Mary said...

"Fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand...For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, 'Fear not, I will help you.'" Isaiah 41:10,13
With love,
Mary